Newspaper Archive of
The Perkins Journal
Perkins, Oklahoma
February 1, 1962     The Perkins Journal
PAGE 8     (8 of 8 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
PAGE 8     (8 of 8 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
February 1, 1962

Newspaper Archive of The Perkins Journal produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2023. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.

PAGE 8 ; ~'~E PERt(iNS JO~NAL, PERKINS, OKLAHOMA THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 1962 !:iii~ ii:i,:i ,i !I!!Z: ! (~ 4: ~7 il'; ii!/, Fire Fatalities Hit 11,700 Total By Lawrence James Collins Student in Fire Protection Oklahoma State university The National Fire Protection Association recently reported that fatalities due to fire totaled 11,700 in 1961. Nearly 1,000 people died by fire each month in America's homes, schools, churches or busi- nesses. Of these dead, more ~l:a:~. 6,000 died in fires in their own homes.=Of these, nearly 30 per cent, o~,800~v~ children. Fire deaths continue to rise annually. 1961 was no exception, as the death rate jumped 350 over that of 1960. Yet the feeling that "It can't happen to me, I'm care- ful around fire!" still prevails. It is the fire that is still undiscov- ered that will take its grim toll of lives this year. It is an accepted fact that many of the potentially dangerous, if not fatal, fires could be prevent- ed. As an example, smoking and matches cause an estimated 25 per cent of all fires. The misuse of electricity is a major cause with 12 per cent of all fires of, electrical origin. These two causes deserve consideration in persona, fire prevention in every home. A discarded cigarette with ash at the end burns at 300 degrees, while without the ash it burns at up to 600 degrees. The head of a match burns at 2000 degrees and the stick at 1200 degrees. Stop and think what ~ cigarette or match can do to your home when improperly handled. The" most costly fire in history was caused by a c~garette tossed into a coil of: rope in Bombay, India, taking 1500 lives and a loss of $1,600,000, 000. Many causes of electrical fires are fairly obvious, frayed wiring to a lamp or appliance, Oversized fuses, improper wiring, extension cords beneath rugs or through doorways, and of course overload- ing wires with multiple sockets in outlets. All appliances should be of the type approved by the Underwriter's Laboratory with their seal or marking on it. Fire Prevention in the home is a full time job. There is more to it than being careful with cigar- ettes and matches, and looking at the wiring occassionally. Accum- ulations of paper or boxes give fire a place to start. The heating system is another weak point at this time of year. Faulty install- ation or poor maintenence will be evident when smoke fills the house. Much of home fire pre- vention is good old common sense. Remember, it can happen to you! It happened to nearly 12,000 people ifi 1961. and it can happen to you in 1962. Stop the fire be- fore is starts through a periodic check of your home and constant awareness of the danger of fire. 6th Grade Party Mr'and Mrs Harvey Brixey en- tertained the 6th grade class with a wiener roast Friday evening after school in honor of their daughter, Marilyn's 12th birthday. Those atending were Jane Butt, Linda Ward, Cathy 'Rushmore, Lanny Jacobs. R.L. Westfall, Roy Wall, Danny Kastl, Randy Hall, Randy Jarvis, Tommy Irvin, Ruth Burrows, Ruth Evans, Vavia Watts Victor Roubldeax, Patty Gray, Betty Hamilton, Karen and Debbie Bostian, Jan and Libby Wampler, Gayle Cochran, Alverta Hardy and Glen Mullens. M-~ E'-'~ F.lqott of Tu~a ancJ Mr and Mrs Ralph Grimm spent Sunday in Oklahoma City visiting Mr and Mrs Lilburn Grimm and family. Afternoon guests of the Grtmms were Mr and Mrs H.T. Henderson of Ft. Gibson, Carroll Wayne Husted and Mr and Mrs Estel Husted and son of Oklahoma City. EXTENSION SERVICE CITES STATE 4-H ALUMNI HONORS Four Oklahoma residents county as a youngster, and has have been honored as"outstand- held several local and county ing former members ofd-H 4-H posts in recent years. Clubs" in the 1961 national 4-H Mrs. Tefft, a homemaker, is a alumni recognition program Sunday school teacher and has conducted by the Cooperative been active in the Red Cross at Extension Service. the national and state lovels. ,, She is a leader in the Parent- i;~' '~ ~1Teachers AssOciati0n in her community and a charter mem- ~i..~,~ ber of the Alpha Tri child study club in Enid. Mrs. Tefft has three daughters active in 4-H, and has been a leader in the Carrier club since 19s . W;nchesfer Mrs. Tefff of radio station WKY and WKY-TV, has spent 25 years in ~:~:~?=:~::~?~:?:::